Part time Communications Operator*
Hours of work and rate of pay:
Rotating 12-hour shifts
Starting at $ 31.879 + 14% (in lieu of benefits) + 4% (vacation pay) = $ 37.616 / hr.
· providing direct radio communication to co-ordinate mobile units and monitor their location and status
· monitor radio regulations and on-air communications while assigning calls for service
· maintain dispatching responsibilities while coordinating major incidents
· use a computer-aided dispatch system to prioritize calls for service
· respond to and evaluate all incoming calls, including 911 calls for police, fire, and ambulance
· compile and broadcast information to patrol units
· the ability to exercise good judgment within the framework of established procedures
· adaptability when performing assignments
· organizational skills
· effective verbal communication skills (e.g. diplomatic, sensitive, firm, and able to take control of a call, when required)
· good written communication skills
· the ability to work accurately with attention to detail
· competence to work co-operatively with others
· minimum 35 wpm keyboard skills
· comfortable using computers
We are moving to a new online Application Process. If you are interested in applying for a Civilian job with the Hamilton Police Service, you must apply via the City of Hamilton Careers Page at: http://www.hamilton.ca/CityServices/Careers
All full-time and part-time Civilian vacancies at the Hamilton Police Service will be posted on the City of Hamilton website as they become available. All applications must be submitted through the City of Hamilton Careers web page in order to be considered.
We are no longer accepting unsolicited applications, non-electronic applications, mailed-in applications, and walk-in applications for Civilian vacancies at any of our locations.
Resumes submitted for these job postings will no longer be considered three (3) months after the closing date noted on the postings. Please continue to visit the City of Hamilton Careers web page and apply directly to vacancies as they become available.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates selected for testing and/or an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or e-mails please. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to all applicants.